Franklin County was separated from St. Louis County and established in 1818, and is named after founding father, Benjamin Franklin. The county seat was originally in the village of Newport, The county seat was permanently moved to the City of Union in 1825.
The county is governed by a three member County Commission led by the Presiding Commissioner and has 13 municipalities.
The historic and quaint towns of Franklin County such as Washington , Union , and Sullivan , and the natural beauty of the area attract many people to the county both as tourists and as new residents
The county covers 922.1 square miles and has a population of 101,492. There are 1,498 miles of roadways in Franklin County with 69% maintained by municipal and county governments, and 31% maintained by the State of Missouri.